Please note that we are no longer accepting submission for the 2014 Award.
Applications are now closed for the 2014 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award, celebrating the greenest and most sustainable shows on the Edinburgh Fringe. This project, a partnership between Creative Carbon Scotland and the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts, with media partner The List, rewards shows which engage their audiences with sustainability, take responsibility for their environmental impacts, and think big about how the arts can help to grow a sustainable world. Applications are open from February 19th to July 18th, with a shortlist announced in The List on July 30th, and the winner announced in a ceremony at Fringe Central on August 22nd.
The Fringe Sustainable Practice Award celebrates the best in sustainability on the Edinburgh Fringe. Inviting productions to engage their audiences with sustainability, take responsibility for their environmental impacts, and think big about how the arts can help to grow a sustainable world, the Award highlights the different exciting approaches Fringe productions are taking to sustainability. We’re inviting all Fringe productions — whether they’ve just started thinking about recycling or whether they’ve been bike-powering venues for years — to apply for this high profile award, and to tell us the new ideas and new ways they have for engaging with sustainability.
The 2014 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award is supported by the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts and Creative Carbon Scotland with media partnership from The List. Entries are invited from companies until 18 July. A long-list will be published in the 6 August edition of the List and productions on the list highlighted in subsequent festival editions before the announcement of the award at a ceremony at Fringe Central on Friday 22 August. The winner will receive a special feature and coverage in the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts’ Quarterly Magazine
The award was created in 2010 by the CSPA Directors, Ian Garrett and Miranda Wright based on methodology developed by the CSPA itself and San Diego’s Mo’olelo Performing Arts Company, who has created a comprehensive Green Theater Choices Toolkit with a generous grant from the Theater Communications Group. The 2010 – 2012 Ecovenue Project and the Theatres Trust, especially Mhora Samuel and Tim Atkinson, assisted with adapting the original methodology for the UK (please refer to our glossary HERE)
To be considered for the award, a production fills out an online questionnaire. Questions range from an inventory of materials used to what public transportation lines run close to venues to how themes about sustainability are addressed in their shows. Because venues vary so greatly, various sections may not be included in a single evaluation to provide equal footing for the shows on a case by case basis. Shows are encouraged, but not required to provide a CSPA affiliate with tickets to their production to allow a trained eye to look at shows and projects as they exist in the real world.
please email email@example.com with any questions.
Daniel Bye receives the 2013 award for Sustainable Production from Creative Carbon Scotland’s Ben Twist.
Creative Carbon Scotland and the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts, in partnership with the List, presented Bye with Award at Fringe Central on August 23rd.
Fringe Posts Archive
- #GreenFests highlights: The Evolution Will Be Televised
- End of Species at #edfringe
- Misa Lisin #edfringe
- The Worm at #edfringe
- The Big Bite-Size Plays Factory Goes Down the Toilet at #edfringe
- The World Mouse Plague at #edfringe
- Green Arts Initiative Spotlight: Puppet Animation Scotland
- be-dom at #edfringe
- #GreenFests Highlights: Out of Water
- Mates at #edfringe
- SOS – Save Our Spaces at #edfringe
- The Handlebards at #edfringe
- #GreenFests: Taking a Walk
- Song of the Earth at #edfringe
- Princess Taz and the Fearsome Forest at #edfringe
- Highlights: Edinburgh Festival Fringe Guide to Sustainability #edfringe
- Longlist announced for the Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award 2014 #edfringe
- Sustainable Production Drop-In Session #edfringe
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe Re-use and Recycle Days #edfringe
- Can Festivals Change the World? #edfringe
- One week remaining to apply for the Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award #edfringe
- Apply now for the 2014 Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award
- Daniel Bye’s How to Occupy an Oil Rig receives 2013 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe #edfringe
- Sustainable Production Award at #edfringe Shortlist.
- Sprit in the Air Exhibition Opening Invite
- A Greener Fringe for Edinburgh: The CSPA and Creative Carbon Scotland team up with the List on Major Award
- Collins & Goto at the Edinburgh Art Festival
- THE MAN WHO PLANTED TREES Announced as Recipient of the 2012 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- The big idea? Get lost
- Internationalism and the Environment Panel Saturday 18 Aug,11:30am at Edinburgh Festival Fringe Central #edfringe
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts and Festivals Edinburgh team up for a Greener Fringe.
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- D IS FOR DOG Announced as Recipient of Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe Festival
- Edinburgh’s greener Fringe
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe #lathr #hff12
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for 2011 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- New version of 3rd Ring Out opens in Edinburgh
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Second Annual Award for Sustainable Production at Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for THE PANTRY SHELF at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- sustainability in theatre
- THE CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE PRACTICE IN THE ARTS ANNOUNCES PANELISTS FOR “SUSTAINABILITY IN THEATRE”, A PANEL DISCUSSION WITH UK AND US LEADERS IN GREENING THE ARTS.
- Sustainability in Theatre | Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2010
- The green roots of carbon-neutral comedy | Culture | The Guardian #edfringe
- Northern Light Events and C venues Green up their Act at Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Hollywood Fringe Sustainable Production Award Announced
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Award for Sustainable Production at Hollywood and Edinburgh Fringe Festivals