The Fringe Sustainable Production Award is designed to reward sustainable practice in the production of an Edinburgh Festival Fringe show. Productions are invited to engage their audiences with sustainability, take responsibility for their environmental impacts, and think big about how the arts can help to grow a sustainable world. This past year entries were invited from companies until 18 August, with shortlists were announced on 5, 12 & 19 August and the final award made on Friday 23 August in a ceremony at Fringe Central.
The award was created in 2010 by the CSPA Directors, Ian Garrett and Miranda Wright, along with a number of CSPA affiliates. It looks at public communication and education, resource use and transportation in support of presenting a fringe show based on methodology developed by the CSPA itself and San Diego’s Mo’olelo Performing Arts Company, who has created a comprehensive Green Theater Choices Toolkit with a generous grant from the Theater Communications Group.
To be considered for the award, a production fills out an online questionnaire. Questions range from an inventory of materials used to what public transportation lines run close to venues to how themes about sustainability are addressed in their shows. Because venues vary so greatly, various sections may not be included in a single evaluation to provide equal footing for the shows on a case by case basis. Shows are encouraged, but not required to provide a CSPA affiliate with tickets to their production to allow a trained eye to look at shows and projects as they exist in the real world.
Also, please note that some vocabulary and notations may vary from the US to the UK in regards to the guides and metrics which we use. With many thanks to Ecovenue and the Theatres Trust, especially Mhora Samuel and Tim Atkinson, please refer to our glossary HERE.
please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Daniel Bye receives the 2013 award for Sustainable Production from Creative Carbon Scotland’s Ben Twist.
Creative Carbon Scotland and the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts, in partnership with the List, presented Bye with Award at Fringe Central on August 23rd.
Fringe Posts Archive
- Daniel Bye’s How to Occupy an Oil Rig receives 2013 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe #edfringe
- Sustainable Production Award at #edfringe Shortlist.
- Sprit in the Air Exhibition Opening Invite
- A Greener Fringe for Edinburgh: The CSPA and Creative Carbon Scotland team up with the List on Major Award
- Collins & Goto at the Edinburgh Art Festival
- THE MAN WHO PLANTED TREES Announced as Recipient of the 2012 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- The big idea? Get lost
- Internationalism and the Environment Panel Saturday 18 Aug,11:30am at Edinburgh Festival Fringe Central #edfringe
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts and Festivals Edinburgh team up for a Greener Fringe.
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- D IS FOR DOG Announced as Recipient of Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe Festival
- Edinburgh’s greener Fringe
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe #lathr #hff12
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for 2011 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- New version of 3rd Ring Out opens in Edinburgh
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Second Annual Award for Sustainable Production at Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for THE PANTRY SHELF at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- sustainability in theatre
- THE CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE PRACTICE IN THE ARTS ANNOUNCES PANELISTS FOR “SUSTAINABILITY IN THEATRE”, A PANEL DISCUSSION WITH UK AND US LEADERS IN GREENING THE ARTS.
- Sustainability in Theatre | Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2010
- The green roots of carbon-neutral comedy | Culture | The Guardian #edfringe
- Northern Light Events and C venues Green up their Act at Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Hollywood Fringe Sustainable Production Award Announced
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Award for Sustainable Production at Hollywood and Edinburgh Fringe Festivals