Applications are now opened for consideration for the 2013 Fringe Sustainable Production Award, designed to reward sustainable practice in the production of an Edinburgh Festival Fringe show. Productions are invited to engage their audiences with sustainability, take responsibility for their environmental impacts, and think big about how the arts can help to grow a sustainable world. Entries are invited from companies until 18 August, with shortlists announced on 5, 12 & 19 August and the final award being made on Friday 23 August in a ceremony at Fringe Central.
The award was created in 2010 by the CSPA Directors, Ian Garrett and Miranda Wright, along with a number of CSPA affiliates. It looks at public communication and education, resource use and transportation in support of presenting a fringe show based on methodology developed by the CSPA itself and San Diego’s Mo’olelo Performing Arts Company, who has created a comprehensive Green Theater Choices Toolkit with a generous grant from the Theater Communications Group.
To be considered for the award, a production fills out an online questionnaire. Questions range from an inventory of materials used to what public transportation lines run close to venues to how themes about sustainability are addressed in their shows. Because venues vary so greatly, various sections may not be included in a single evaluation to provide equal footing for the shows on a case by case basis. Shows are encouraged, but not required to provide a CSPA affiliate with tickets to their production to allow a trained eye to look at shows and projects as they exist in the real world.
Also, please note that some vocabulary and notations may vary from the US to the UK in regards to the guides and metrics which we use. With many thanks to Ecovenue and the Theatres Trust, especially Mhora Samuel and Tim Atkinson, please refer to our glossary HERE.
please email email@example.com with any questions.
The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts (CSPA) has awarded the second CSPA Fringe Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe to D is for Dog by Katie Polebaum and the Rogue Artists ensemble, directed by Sean Calweti. It is produced by the Rogue Artists Ensemble at the Hudson Theater.
The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts (CSPA) has awarded the second CSPA Fringe Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Fringe to Allotment by Jules Horne and directed by Kate Nelson. The world premiere of Allotment was produced by nutshell at the Inverleith Allotments
Fringe Posts Archive
- A Greener Fringe for Edinburgh: The CSPA and Creative Carbon Scotland team up with the List on Major Award
- Collins & Goto at the Edinburgh Art Festival
- THE MAN WHO PLANTED TREES Announced as Recipient of the 2012 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- The big idea? Get lost
- Internationalism and the Environment Panel Saturday 18 Aug,11:30am at Edinburgh Festival Fringe Central #edfringe
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts and Festivals Edinburgh team up for a Greener Fringe.
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- D IS FOR DOG Announced as Recipient of Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe Festival
- Edinburgh’s greener Fringe
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe #lathr #hff12
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for 2011 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- New version of 3rd Ring Out opens in Edinburgh
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Second Annual Award for Sustainable Production at Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for THE PANTRY SHELF at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- sustainability in theatre
- THE CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE PRACTICE IN THE ARTS ANNOUNCES PANELISTS FOR “SUSTAINABILITY IN THEATRE”, A PANEL DISCUSSION WITH UK AND US LEADERS IN GREENING THE ARTS.
- Sustainability in Theatre | Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2010
- The green roots of carbon-neutral comedy | Culture | The Guardian #edfringe
- Northern Light Events and C venues Green up their Act at Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Hollywood Fringe Sustainable Production Award Announced
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Award for Sustainable Production at Hollywood and Edinburgh Fringe Festivals