Presented with Media Partner The List
Applications are now closed for the 2015 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award, celebrating the most sustainable shows on the Edinburgh Fringe. This project, a partnership between Creative Carbon Scotland and the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts, with media partner The List, rewards shows which engage their audiences with sustainability; take responsibility for their environmental, economic, and social impacts; and think big about how the arts can help to grow a sustainable world. Applications were open from February 23rd to July 24th, with a shortlist announced in The List at the beginning of the 2015 Edinburgh Festival Fringe, and the winner announced in a ceremony at Fringe Central on August 28th.
The award for Sustainable Production on the Fringe was first launched in 2010 at the Hollywood Fringe and Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Previous Edinburgh recipients include: the Handlebards for their production of The Comedy of Errors performed at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (2014); How to Occupy an Oil Rig (2013) by Daniel Bye and Company, produced at Northern Stage; The Man Who Planted Trees (2012) adapted from Jean Giono’s story by Ailie Cohen, Richard Medrington, Rick Conte and directed by Ailie Cohen, produced by the Edinburgh’s Puppet State Theatre; Allotment (2011) by Jules Horne and directed by Kate Nelson, produced by Nutshell Productions at the Inverleith Allotments in co-production with Assembly; and The Pantry Shelf (2010), a satirical comedy that takes place in any ordinary pantry shelf produced by Team M&M at Sweet Grassmarket. Awardees have gone on to future success on the Fringe and presentations around the world including as close as Cardiff for World Stage Design, and as far as New Zealand and all across the US and Canada.
The 2015 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award is supported by the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts and Creative Carbon Scotland with media partnership from The List. Entries were invited from companies until 24 July. A long-list will be published on-line in the List on 31 July and productions on the long-list highlighted in subsequent print festival editions before the announcement of the award at a ceremony at Fringe Central on Friday 28 August. The winner will receive a special feature and coverage in the Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts’ Quarterly Magazine
To be considered for the award, a production fills out an online questionnaire. Questions range from an inventory of materials used to what public transportation lines run close to venues to how themes about sustainability are addressed in their shows. Because venues vary so greatly, various sections may not be included in a single evaluation to provide equal footing for the shows on a case by case basis. Shows are encouraged, but not required to provide a CSPA affiliate with tickets to their production to allow a trained eye to look at shows and projects as they exist in the real world.
Also, we do hope this will inspire you to have the discussion with your venue about what they’re doing to make those things you don’t control more sustainable. Encourage your venue to join the Green Arts Initiative – details here: http://www.creativecarbonscotland.com/project/the-green-arts-initiative-2/
please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The 2015 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award for sustainable design, content and production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, was awarded today to Paines Plough for their production of Lungs,written by Duncan Macmillan, and performed at the Roundabout at Summerhall.
In a ceremony at Fringe Central on Friday, August 28nd at 4:00 pm, after presentations by Brendan Miles from The List and CSPA Director Ian Garrett, Jessica Fosteskew, stand up comedian and writer for Channel 4, BBC and Radio 4, presented Paines Plough with the 2015 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
Fringe Posts Archive
- Creative Carbon Scotland’s Summer Festival Season
- #GreenFests: Meet Sarah Diver Lang, the crafter of the 2015 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award
- LUNGS Announced as Winner for 2015 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award!
- Our 2015 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award Finalists
- #GreenFests: Changing the World, Festival by Festival
- Running a Green Event: the Fringe Sustainable Practice Award Ceremony
- #GreenFest: FSPA Shortlist Diary No.2
- #GreenFests: Tragedy strikes the clowns as wigs no match for wind
- More tickets released for ‘Achieving Social Change, Festival by Festival’ with Stella Hall
- #GreenFests: Swap Shop allows shows to be sustainable beyond the Fringe
- #GreenFests: Tips & Tricks for Sustainable Festivals
- Assembly Rooms Attains Silver Award in Green Tourism Business Scheme
- GAI Member Survey: The Results
- #GreenFests Top 10 Things to See in Edinburgh This Week
- #GreenFests Top 10 Things to See in Edinburgh This Week
- Edinburgh Fringe Swap Shop
- Creative Carbon Scotland’s Advice for a More Sustainable Fringe
- Fringe Sustainable Practice Award longlist is revealed | Edinburgh Festival
- Opportunity: Craft the Fringe Sustainable Practice Award
- Edinburgh Green Tease Reflections: Discussions with Eco Drama
- Photo Recap from the Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award ceremony
- The Handlebards: Macbeth/A Comedy of Errors wins 2014 Fringe Sustainable Practice Award
- #GreenFests highlights: The Evolution Will Be Televised
- End of Species at #edfringe
- Misa Lisin #edfringe
- The Worm at #edfringe
- The Big Bite-Size Plays Factory Goes Down the Toilet at #edfringe
- The World Mouse Plague at #edfringe
- Green Arts Initiative Spotlight: Puppet Animation Scotland
- be-dom at #edfringe
- #GreenFests Highlights: Out of Water
- Mates at #edfringe
- SOS – Save Our Spaces at #edfringe
- The Handlebards at #edfringe
- #GreenFests: Taking a Walk
- Song of the Earth at #edfringe
- Princess Taz and the Fearsome Forest at #edfringe
- Highlights: Edinburgh Festival Fringe Guide to Sustainability #edfringe
- Longlist announced for the Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award 2014 #edfringe
- Sustainable Production Drop-In Session #edfringe
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe Re-use and Recycle Days #edfringe
- Can Festivals Change the World? #edfringe
- One week remaining to apply for the Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award #edfringe
- Apply now for the 2014 Edinburgh Fringe Sustainable Practice Award
- Daniel Bye’s How to Occupy an Oil Rig receives 2013 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe #edfringe
- Sustainable Production Award at #edfringe Shortlist.
- Sprit in the Air Exhibition Opening Invite
- A Greener Fringe for Edinburgh: The CSPA and Creative Carbon Scotland team up with the List on Major Award
- Collins & Goto at the Edinburgh Art Festival
- THE MAN WHO PLANTED TREES Announced as Recipient of the 2012 Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- The big idea? Get lost
- Internationalism and the Environment Panel Saturday 18 Aug,11:30am at Edinburgh Festival Fringe Central #edfringe
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts and Festivals Edinburgh team up for a Greener Fringe.
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- D IS FOR DOG Announced as Recipient of Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe Festival
- Edinburgh’s greener Fringe
- Applications open for the 2012 Fringe Festival Award for Sustainable Production at the Hollywood Fringe #lathr #hff12
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for 2011 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- New version of 3rd Ring Out opens in Edinburgh
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Second Annual Award for Sustainable Production at Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Sustainable Production Award Announced for THE PANTRY SHELF at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- sustainability in theatre
- THE CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE PRACTICE IN THE ARTS ANNOUNCES PANELISTS FOR “SUSTAINABILITY IN THEATRE”, A PANEL DISCUSSION WITH UK AND US LEADERS IN GREENING THE ARTS.
- Sustainability in Theatre | Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2010
- The green roots of carbon-neutral comedy | Culture | The Guardian #edfringe
- Northern Light Events and C venues Green up their Act at Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Hollywood Fringe Sustainable Production Award Announced
- The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts to Present Award for Sustainable Production at Hollywood and Edinburgh Fringe Festivals