This Open Call Comes from the Seismopolite Journal of Art and PoliticsÂ
While art residencies are often used as experimental sites for cultural exchange and social engagement, and sometimes also as â€œlaboratoriesâ€ for ecology or cooperation between art and sciences, their relevance has also been questioned due to the infinitely overlapping, global and seemingly inconsequential political territory they inhabit.
ForÂ Seismopolite’s next issue, they invite contributors from diverse disciplines to submit essays and reviews that discuss the global phenomenon of the art residency from a high variety of possible angles, including (not restricted to):
- The political meaning of cooperation in art residencies as international forms of cultural exchange.
- Types of residencies; themes, formats and ways of organizing residencies; their public programmes, exhibitions and events.
- Â The idea of â€œsiteâ€ and of local political and cultural interaction in art residencies.
- Art residencies in context: art, geopolitics and neoliberalism.
- The relationship between residencies and local art â€œscenesâ€.
Submissions are accepted accepted continuously, but to make sure you are considered for the upcoming issue, please send your proposal/ draft, a brief bio and samples of earlier work toÂ email@example.com within June 14, 2017. All articles will be translated into Norwegian and published in a bilingual version.
Current issue: http://seismopolite.com/
Back issues: http://seismopolite.com/artandpolitics