LA STAGE Alliance (In partnership with your friends at the CSPA) has just secured a new facility in the vibrant Atwater Village neighborhood and, true to their mission, weâ€™ve asked ourselves how our move can benefit the greater Los Angeles theatre community at large. What weâ€™ve come up with is LA STAGE Space, which will house several activities:
1) Â A 7,000 square foot Warehouse Co-op for LA performing artists to house and share all their sets, props, costumes and equipment with each other throughout the year.
2)Â A space to give the community a shared physical location, in the form of a â€œCommunity Lounge,â€ where artists and community members can gather, find materials and information on arts sustainability, and relax. (And get free coffee & wifi!)
3)Â Additional meeting, audition, and rehearsal space — as an added bonus!
All we need now is to outfit the empty building so it can be used more effectively — shelving, pallet movers, barcode scanners, furniture, decorations, coffee pot… and maybe even a truck to help things come to and fro.
There are so many ways this Co-Op will positively impact the community. It willâ€¦
- HELP NONPROFIT ARTS ORGANIZATIONSÂ to save money and be financially sustainable.
- HELP REDUCE WASTEÂ by re-using materials, resulting in a more eco-friendly LA and LA arts community.
- UNIFYÂ THE COMMUNITYÂ by providing a physical location for artists to congregate and share.
- INSPIRE COLLABORATIONÂ for performing artists, and promote innovation for the rest of the country to emulate.
We’ll also be usingÂ environmentally-friendly practices and materials.
CORE GOALS & STRETCH GOAL
Core Goal:Â $25,000 will outfit LA STAGE Space and the Warehouse Co-op in its most basic state. This includes shelving, ladders, furniture, and a high-tech (and easy-to-use) online barcoded inventory system — making it possible to open our doors to the entire community.
Stretch Goal: An additional $25,000 will, apart from allowing us a bit more wiggle room, give us access to a used moving truck (and have gas and insurance and maintenance covered). This will be our Strike Truck, and will allow for Co-op members to arrange pickups after their strikes, which will carry materials back to the Warehouse (or to deliver materials to their theatres from the warehouse).
Our Sustainability Partners
We are pleased to partner with many organizations on LA STAGE Space, including theÂ Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts,Â Arts:Earth Partnership, andÂ Good Planet Media, all organizations dedicated to sustainability in Los Angeles and around the world.