A briefing on preparations for the Rio +20 Summit is available from the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), focusing on culture as key element of sustainability: â€œWe believe that the paradigm of sustainable development needs a cultural pillar, and its implementation deserves cultural content. The Agenda 21 for culture (2004), the Policy Statement of Mexico on â€œCulture: the Fourth Pillar of Sustainable Developmentâ€ (2010) and the local actions undertaken by our members and partners are the best evidence of progress.
UCLG is preparing its strategy for the Rio+20 Summit. The key messages put forward by UCLG are:
- Making Culture as fourth pillar of sustainable development
- Tackling climate change
- Contributing to international governance in sustainable development field
- Making cities resilientâ€
To read the briefing (PDF file): Click here
Cultura21â€²s international network, launched in April 2007, offers the online and offline platform for exchanges and mutual learning among its members.
– Sacha Kagan (based in LÃ¼neburg, Germany) and Rana Ã–ztÃ¼rk (based in Berlin, Germany)
– Oleg Koefoed and Kajsa Paludan (both based in Copenhagen, Denmark)
– Hans Dieleman (based in Mexico-City, Mexico)
– Francesca Cozzolino and David Knaute (both based in Paris, France)