Call for Visual Artist/MacArthur Park
LA Commons, Mama’s Hot Tamales, CARECEN, and the Miguel Contreras Learning Center are collaborating on a unique project to engage an artist/designer to work with a Core Youth Arts Team (15-25 years old) to design an art installation on the West 7th Street in MacArthur Park.
The Role the Lead Artist/Designer in this project will be:
- To participate in story/image gathering process with the group to incorporate within the designs for the installation.
- To mentor the Core Youth Arts Team to foster youth in the development of skills in image making and design.
- To create the overall visual identity and cohesiveness for the installation project.
February – April 2009
- Experience in three dimensional visual arts and installation.
- Experience working with youth and community.
- Familiarity with the MacArthur Park neighborhood
$2000 stipend for Lead Artist will be payable in thirds at the beginning, middle and conclusion of the project. In addition, there is a budget for project materials and the youth arts team will receive stipends for their work.
Please submit these materials via email by December 8th, 2008
- Current resume and contact information
- 5-7 Work Samples on disc or via email
- Artist statement of why you are interested in this project
Please send or email to:
Community Arts Program Director
4343 Leimert Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90008
LA Commons engages communities in the collective creation of art for public spaces that tells their unique stories and serves as the basis for interaction, dialogue and a better understanding of Los Angeles.
A project of Community Partners